12/24/12

A pig's tail isn't the only body part that is curly...

Pigs have corkscrew-shaped penises.

Would I lie to you?
This isn't a random fact that I just stumbled upon via internet. Oh no. This is a fact I learned first (lubed up) hand. 

One day when I was job shadowing at my favorite mixed-practice vet clinic, someone brought in a pot belly pig. He wasn't too old yet, and they wanted to have him neutered/castrated. I was pretty excited. It was the first neuter I got to help with that wasn't just a dog or a cat. So we knocked him out (carefully, though, because pigs are more sensitive to sedatives than dogs and cats are) and got him on the surgery table to be prepped, which wasn't very pleasant because he was a pretty stocky little dude and his nether-regions had some unfortunately strong odors emitting from them.

Then in came the vet, who said, "Hey, did you guys know that pigs have corkscrew-shaped penises?" We (the vet assistant and I) shook our heads "no".

"Do you want to see it?" He asked. I enthusiastically shook my head "yes".

So the vet gently tugged the sleeping pig's penis out of its sheath to show us the spiraling action. I thought he'd stop after the first inch or so, but no. He pulled that thing all the way out. It was probably a full 10 inches, which was ridiculous because that pig was only 20-30 pounds.

After we "oooh" and "ahhh" over it for a minute or two, the vet tried to slide it back into the sheath, but it wouldn't go. I guess it got a little dried out while we were examining it, and now, it was stuck. This poor, sleeping pig's 10 inch, flopping, spiraling penis was stuck.

Well, the vet wanted to get started on the testicle removing, so he tossed the vet assistant and I a tube of lubricant and said, "Work that thing back in there, will you?" And to work we went, lubing up the penis and slowly inching it back into its sheath. We may have lubed a little too well because when we finally got done, and it was time to put the pig in a recovery cage, gravity slipped a few inches of the penis back out, but you know.. we did our best.

I still feel a little bad for that pig. He didn't just lose his testicles that day. He also lost his dignity. You could see it in his eyes when he woke up. Poor guy.



No comments:

Post a Comment