12/30/12

The Cat Whisperer

So my own cat hates me.

He exists to destroy me. I wish he wasn't so cute. Maybe then I could hate him back.
But other cats generally like me. A lot. It's strange, and I have been referred to as "The Cat Whisperer" more than a few times.

One day at the vet clinic, I was taking care of the cats that were boarding. I always tried to play with them and pet them some as I cleaned out their kennels. One of them was especially affectionate, so I loved on him for a few minutes. I got the feeling that I was being watched, though, and looked up to see a group of the vet techs gaping at me from outside the room.

Noticing my look of confusion, one of them explained that the sweet, loving cat I was playing with had been boarding with them all week, and his nickname was "Satan Cat". All week they had to put heavy gloves on just to change the cat's food. He literally tried to attack them every time they even got close to him. They couldn't believe I was still in one piece much less snuggling with this cat.

I thought maybe he had just changed his attitude, but no. He still hated everyone that came near him. Except me. I guess I'm just awesome.

And then there was this guy:

He was abandoned and was living at the clinic until he found a forever home. He loved riding around in my pockets.


 I don't know why, but this story reminds me of another, more unfortunate story. A different day, same clinic, an older man brought in his cat to be euthanized. He was bawling his eyes out as he handed me the cat. It was wrapped up in a towel, and I knew immediately that something wasn't right. Regardless, I did what I was told and put the cat in one of the holding cages so the vet could look at it and do the deed.

"Is this the cat I'm supposed to euthanize?" The vet asked me as he walked by the holding cages.

"Yeah, but I'm not so sure that will be necessary..." I replied.

The vet opened the cage door and picked up the cat. Its eyes were glazed over, one side of its body was flat, and it was completely stiff. It had been dead for quite a while.

"It was dead when he brought it in, but I don't think he realized... he was pretty upset..." I explained.

The vet just stood there holding the stiff, dead cat by the neck. Then he started laughing. And I started laughing. And the vet techs that walked in to see what was going on looked confused and slightly disturbed, but then they started laughing, too. Vet clinics are weird places.




No comments:

Post a Comment