12/22/12

Removing testicles. Fun stuff.




The first surgery I ever got to assist with was a neuter, and I loved every second of it. Seriously, if I could just remove testicles from things all day, I would be completely happy. My boyfriend probably doesn't need to know that...
It's just awesome. How could anyone not think that is awesome?

I can't remember if the first one was a dog or a cat because all testicle removing surgeries are pretty much the same, and they are all really simple. Thus far in my career, I have gotten to assist with dog, cat, cow, pig, sheep, lemur, ferret, rat, and camel neuters (some of those are generally referred to as "castration", but whatever). I might have even missed a few animals in there.
Camel castration aftermath.


Anyway. This post is mainly just informative, so when you take your dog or cat or something to the vet to get neutered, you know what's happening (and this might not be 100% correct because all vets do things a little differently, but you'll get the basic idea).

So. Dogs. First, that puppy is popped (given a sedative shot). Then there is this hilarious waiting period when the dog is going down. Hilarious because they do some really weird things. Sometimes creepy things. I was a little disturbed the first time I saw it. Then I got all morbid and found the humor in it. Some dogs just start swaying back and forth and eventually flop over. Some puke. Some try to fight it by going on with their normal doggy business (trying to lick their balls for the last time or something) and then fall over in the middle of it. Some get super stiff and lay on the ground with their legs straight out (that's probably the funniest.. and most disturbing). It's all completely normal, though, I assure you. And on to the next step we go...

The dog is taken to the surgery room and put on gas anesthesia to completely knock them out (with gas mask/intubation). Then they are moved into position (on their backs with their legs spread wide), and their paws are tied down. Last step before the vet comes in (the prep is usually done by vet assistants or techs): prepping the incision area by shaving and scrubbing.

Then a single incision is made (on dogs; cats get one for each testicle, and their incisions are left open after surgery), and the vet pops one testicle out, ties it off, removes it, and then does the same with the other. Pretty easy. The incision is sewn up (usually treated with antibiotic ointment afterward), the dog is given some antibiotics and painkillers, and that's that.
Most vets use gloves, but since the testicles are just under the skin, there is much less chance of infection (at least the serious, fatal kind) than more internal surgeries (like spays, which I'll talk about in another post).

If you want to see the whole thing (because it is pretty cool to watch), here's a video I found on youtube (it's slightly different than the method I explained, but the end result is the same, and it's informative): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qHGm8mDQts

1 comment:

  1. My testicles both retreated all the way inside me, when you admitted to loving removing them. I had a girlfriend who was a vet, and she had a castration play fetish, but one time she actually brought a big burdizzo and I started to uncontrollably panic. She must have saw she was scaring me, because she promptly put it away, but my kinky buzz was already ruined lol. Castration play with an actual castration device is a little too intense for me!

    ReplyDelete